Friday Rock Show:
Saturday Rock Show:
Here are playlists that detail what played during editions of Tommy Vance's short lived Night Rocking show in 1988, all taken from cassettes that I recorded at the time and still have today.
The show ran for fourteen weeks. This page includes:
8 Oct 1988
This show listing is incomplete, as it's missing the beginning.
- Black Sabbath - Die Young
- Santana - Song of the Wind
- Foreigner - Urgent
- Free - Mr. Big (live)
- Queensrÿche - London
- Thin Lizzy - Killer on the Loose
- Deep Purple - Woman from Tokyo
- Les Dudek - What a Sacrifice
- The Stranglers - Down in the Sewer
- AC/DC - High Voltage (st)
- AC/DC - Live Wire (st)
- AC/DC - Can I Sit Next to You, Girl (st)
- AC/DC - Little Lover (st)
- Heart - Nothin' at All
- The Doors - Love Her Madly
- Vangelis - Pulstar
- Steve Miller Band - Rock'n Me
- Neil Young - Like a Hurricane
- Mötley Crüe - Girls Girls Girls
Session by AC/DC, recorded on 3 Jun 1976 and first broadcast on 21 Jun 1976 by John Peel.
Date confirmed by Tommy's comments before the Vangelis track that 'this weekend belongs to Jean-Michel Jarre'. That's because he was doing two huge concerts at the Royal Victoria Docks that were attended by 100,000 people each night. Those were 8 and 9 Oct 1988.
22 Oct 1988
This show listing is believed complete. It's possible that there's another track at the end.
- Pink Floyd - Money
- Ozzy Osbourne - Shot in the Dark
- Lou Reed - White Light/White Heat (live)
- Iron Maiden - Two Minutes to Midnight (live)
- Judie Tzuke - Stay with Me Till Dawn
- Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
- Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' with Disaster
- Fleetwood Mac - Black Magic Woman
- Roxy Music - Both Ends Burning
- Jefferson Starship - Jane
- Magnum - Soldier of the Line
- Cream - Crossroads (live)
- Genesis - Afterglow (live)
- Genesis - Follow Me, Follow You (live)
- Genesis - Los Endos (live)
- Genesis - I Know What I Like (live)
- Dio - The Last in Line
- Tangerine Dream - Exit
- Rory Gallagher - Walk on Hot Coals (live)
Genesis live at Knebworth Park from 24 Jun 1978.
Date confirmed by Tommy mentioning after the Iron Maiden track that the clocks 'go back tonight'. That was Sun 23 Oct 1988 in the UK.
29 Oct 1988
This show listing is a work in progress and is subject to change.
- Little Feat - Skin It Back
- Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner (live)
- Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze (live)
- Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
- Metal Church - Watch the Children Pray
- Rush - 2112 (two parts)
- Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet
- Boston - Foreplay / Long Time
- Fairport Convention - Come All Ye
- Marillion - Tux On
- Yes - Starship Trooper
- Led Zeppelin - What is and What Should Never Be (st)
- Led Zeppelin - Travelling Riverside Blues (st)
- Led Zeppelin - Communication Breakdown (st)
- Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love (st)
- AC/DC - Shot Down in Flames
- Whitesnake - Walking in the Shadow of the Blues
- Frank Zappa - Whipping Post (live)
- Ten Years After - I'm Going Home (live)
- Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)
Session by Led Zeppelin, recorded on 24 Jun 1969 and first broadcast on John Peel's Top Gear on 29 Jun 1969.
5 Nov 1988
This show listing is believed to be complete.
- Budgie - Parents
- Elton John - Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding
- Steely Dan - Ricky, Don't Lose That Number
- Whitesnake - Still of the Night
- Alice Cooper - Wish You Were Here
- Asia - Heat of the Moment
- Joni Mitchell - Strange Boy
- Sammy Hagar - Young Girl Blues
- UFO - Lights Out
- Swords - Children of Heaven
- Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery (st)
- Jethro Tull - Requiem (st)
- Jethro Tull - Aqualung (st)
- Jethro Tull - Cold Wind Valhalla (st)
- Rainbow - Stargazer
- Focus - Sylvia
- Jefferson Airplane - Wooden Ships
- Robert Plant - Big Log
- Uriah Heep - Too Scared to Run (live)
Session by Jethro Tull, recorded in Monte Carlo while they were recording the Minstrel in the Gallery album.
I dated my cassette.
I apparently recorded a couple of tracks from other Friday Rock Shows over the beginning of this show but the track listing is probably complete anyway.
26 Nov 1988
This show listing is not complete. It's missing the last track.
- The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Day Tripper
- Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
- Nils Lofgren - I Came to Dance (live)
- Pat Benatar - Hit Me with Your Best Shot
- Gary Moore - Empty Rooms
- Emerson, Lake and Palmer - From the Beginning
- David Bowie - Station to Station
- April Wine - Sign of the Gypsy Queen
- Aerosmith - Dream On
- Faces - Stay with Me
- The Cars - Drive
- Scorched Earth - Tomorrow Never Comes
- Montrose - Space Station No. 5
- Deep Purple - Burn (live)
- Deep Purple - Might Just Take Your Life (live)
- Deep Purple - Mistreated (live)
- Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water (live)
- Edgar Broughton Band - Homes Fit for Heroes
- Janis Joplin - Cry Baby
Deep Purple live at the California Jam in Ontario, CA on 4 Jun 1974.
Before the Edgar Broughton Band Tommy mentions that Alan 'Fluff' Freeman will be returning to the BBC to host this show 'in the new year'. It became The Saturday Rock Show instead.
3 Dec 1988
This show listing is complete.
- Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (live)
- Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (live)
- Rose Tattoo - Nice Boys
- Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Texas Flood
- King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King
- Cinderella - Push Push
- Barclay James Harvest - Child of the Universe
- Cream - Cat's Squirrel (st)
- Cream - Traintime (st)
- Cream - Lawdy Mama (st)
- Cream - I'm So Glad (st)
- Kiss - Love Gun
- Hawkwind - Spirit of the Age
- Yes - Yours is No Disgrace
- Scorpions - Another Piece of Meat
- Cream - Strange Brew (st)
- Cream - Tales of Brave Ulysses (st)
- Cream - We're Going Wrong (st)
- Cream - Steppin' Out (st)
- Cream - SWLABR (st)
- Cream - Politician (st)
- Meat Loaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light
- AC/DC - TNT
- Roy Buchanan - Sweet Dreams
Three sessions by Cream:
The first (tracks 8-11) was recorded on 9 Dec 1966 and first broadcast on Rhythm & Blues on the BBC World Service on 9 Jan 1967.
The second (tracks 16 to 18) was recorded on 30 May 1967 and first broadcast on Saturday Club on the BBC Light Programme on 3 Jun 1967.
The third (tracks 19-21) was recorded on 9 Jan 1968 and first broadcast on Top Gear on 14 Jan 1968.
17 Dec 1988
This show listing is complete.
- Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild
- HSAS - A Whiter Shade of Pale
- The Tubes - Love is a Mystery
- Wishbone Ash - Throw Down the Sword
- Van Halen - Hot for Teacher
- Vanilla Fudge - You Keep Me Hanging On
- Bon Jovi - Shot Through the Heart
- Brownsville Station - Martian Boogie
- Hawkwind - Levitation
- Y & T - Summertime Girls
- Neil Young - Cortez the Killer (live)
- Def Leppard - Photograph
- The Doobie Brothers - Without You
- Peter Gabriel - Across the River
- The Rolling Stones - Everybody Needs Somebody to Love (st)
- The Rolling Stones - The Last Time (st)
- The Rolling Stones - Down the Road Apiece (st)
- The Rolling Stones - Mercy Mercy (st)
- The Rolling Stones - Cry to Me (st)
- The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction (st)
- The Rolling Stones - Fanny Mae (st)
- The Rolling Stones - The Spider and the Fly (st)
- The Rolling Stones - Baby, We Got a Good Thing Going (st)
- The Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Women (st)
- Little River Band - It's a Long Way There
- Climax Blues Band - Amerita
- Brand X - Smacks of Euphoric Hysteria (excerpt)
Sessions by the Rolling Stones (details here):
Tracks 15-17 were recorded on 1 Mar 1965 and first broadcast on Top Gear on 6 Mar 1965.
Tracks 18-23 were recorded on 20 Aug 1965 and first broadcast on The Rolling Stones Special on 30 Aug 1965, except track 19, which was first broadcast on Saturday Club on 18 Sep 1965.
Track 24 was recorded on 3 Jul 1969.
24 Dec 1988
This show listing is not complete, as it's missing the beginning.
- Pink Floyd - Speak to Me (live)
- Pink Floyd - Breathe (live)
- Pink Floyd - On the Run (live)
- Pink Floyd - Time (live)
- Pink Floyd - Breathe (Reprise) (live)
- Pink Floyd - The Great Gig in the Sky (live)
- Pink Floyd - Money (live)
- Pink Floyd - Us and Them (live)
- Pink Floyd - Any Colour You Like (live)
- Pink Floyd - Brain Damage (live)
- Pink Floyd - Eclipse (live)
- Gregg Allman - Midnight Rider
- The Doors - Love Me Two Times
- Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody
- Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
- David Bowie - Tonight
- The Cars - Moving in Stereo
- Free - All Right Now
- AC/DC - Evil Walks
- Asia - Here Comes the Feeling
Not my recording. Thanks to Steve Reece.
Pink Floyd recorded live at Wembley on 16 Nov 1974. Recording starts at Brain Damage. Tracks are taken from the setlist.fm listing. There may or may not have been anything before this live set.
7 Jan 1989
This show listing is complete.
- Pantera - I am the Night
- Robin George - Heartline
- Vangelis - So Long Ago, So Clear
- Kings of the Sun - Black Leather
- Femme Fatale - Waiting for the Big One
- Kingdom Come - Hideaway
- Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
- Def Leppard - Rock of Ages
- Joe Satriani - Dreaming #11
- Europe - Open Your Heart
- The Doobie Brothers & James Taylor - Takin' It to the Streets (live)
- Kiss - Detroit Rock City (live)
- Kiss - Cold Gin (live)
- Kiss - Strutter (live)
- Kiss - Fits Like a Glove (live)
- Kiss - Heaven's on Fire (live)
- Bon Jovi - Love for Sale
- Eloy - Metromania
- Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands to Yourself
- Magnum - When the World Comes Down
- Ozzy Osbourne - Miracle Man
- Golden Earring - Radar Love
- Survivor - Too Hot to Sleep
Kiss live at the Ipswich Gaumont in 1984.
This is the last Night Rocking. Tommy's special guest is Alan Freeman. The Saturday Rock Show will start the next weekend with Whitesnake live at the Reading Festival in 1980.
Tommy plays the Femme Fatale track at the wrong speed and corrects it once the singing kicks in.
Last update: 22nd December, 2017